Sunday, May 5, 2013

Color

At the Public Gardens today. It is rightly called this with beds and beds of flowers. Predominantly now are the tulips which come in many of the colors of the spectrum: yellow, pink and white, red and yellow, scarlet. A few beds have a combination of purple and red. The beauty is so intense it stimulates that Sensucht, that inconsolable longing, that irrepressible desire that one realizes cannot be satisfied in this life. So I reach for my camera and ah! "Low Battery" beeps onto the screen. Alas! I open my journal and scribble away. The words seem weak---they always do when confronting such beauty as is before me here. What can I do? I must at least try. I must try to put down in these little ciphers a beauty that transcends. It must point to Something or Someone other. It has to, doesn't it? And such color and form also makes me wonder: Why? Why does the world have color and why do we recognize it? and recognize it to the extent that we distinguish even the finest differences in shade? What a wonder the Artist decides against black and white and gives to the world, color: the orange of orioles, the purple of grapes, the green of forests, the gray of granite, the black of coffee, the hazel of a girl's kind eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home