Monday, March 9, 2020

The Crisis Deserving My Fear

Well it is 67 degrees today, still weeks away from Spring. I must confess to not knowing how to direct my fear. First there is the fever of the planet: Global Warming. I'm thinking that the ocean must be rising to the point that even the Obama family may be making plans to emigrate from Martha's Vineyard pronto. And here in this lovely coastal community in which I live I wonder if my fear is best directed by keeping my eyes on the fortuitous high tides? Or perhaps it is this latest crisis, the Corona virus, which seems to have quite infected us with a foreboding fear unknown since the black death took hold of Europe in the Middle Ages. I am quite concerned. When I see the Church taking such measures, not at all Draconian, as closing churches, stopping public Masses in Rome and perhaps elsewhere, emptying holy water founts, disinfecting the pews, priests and deacons disinfecting themselves---and just a corollary: does the Host itself get infected by the disinfectant? In other words are we communicants more likely to take in strains of the disinfectant chemicals than a viral strain of this immigrant flu? And I wonder on a political aside, since we are fighting so hard to keep our borders open and free, can it be considered consistent that we wish, in this case, to keep our borders closed to a virus from a distant land? At any rate, I've got to find the proper crisis on which to spend my fear... perhaps the next crisis will even be more clearly the one on which to let my fears go wild

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home