Monday, February 1, 2016

Gene Editing in the UK

On hearing of the news about the gene editing in the UK. The newscaster said in her neutral voice that it paves the way for designer babies. It is a strange world isn't it when natural conceptions are brought to a clinic, and unnatural conceptions are used for experiment. Is this Dr. Mengala all over again? These Mengalian experiements seek to manipulate embryonic life. Oh yes, how they give such heavenly hope to the curing of disease and deformity. And of course embryoes conceived by IVF would have to be destroyed ('discarded' is the word the media uses like you would discard a broken doll). Thus the reasoning is, why can't we make use of them? My mother's words come back to me in italic power: "Two wrongs don't ever make a right." But I forgot that that is too absolutist isn't it? Why to say something is 'wrong' or 'right' is quite outdated. I guess I should revise my mother's words for today's modern reader: "Two innapropriatenesses don't ever make an appropriate." Perhaps that is better? Either way, I think we are scaling Babel at quite an alarming rate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home