Wednesday, March 22, 2017

"Why this isn't Spain, It's England!"

In "A Man For All Seasons" a film about the life of St Thomas More, the Duke of Norfolk says in leiu of the approaching danger facing Sir Thomas with regard to his non-compliance to the King's demand that he recognize the King's adulterous marriage: "Why,this isn't Spain, it's England!" The line was meant to emphasize that it was Spain that had the Inquisition and England was not in the least like it. I think we in America suffer from the same dellusion as the Duke of Norfolk did (Sir Thomas was beheaded at the command of the King in Merry Ol' England). If I was to say that we have our own inquisition in place and getting more and more demanding for compliance every day most would perhaps say I was overstating the case; and if not seriously in need of therapy myself to see how nice things really are. But I thought back to the bakers who lost their livelihood simply because they would not concur in a wedding celebration that went contrary to their conscience. I was reminded again just today when I entered the town's library. There in front of me was a rainbow banner with a sampling of "Gender Identity" books. Not Shakespeare, or Dickens, or Jane Austen... no. Whether it is England or Spain we are in I think the new inquisition is ramping up. I bet St Thomas where he is now recognizes it. I'm not sure how many of us do. But don't worry for we may have the clear vision of Hans Christian Andersen before we know it. We will no doubt then realize that we may just be closer to St Thomas's times than we dare to think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home