Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Wuhan Flu Nomenclature

With all the concern about the unconscionable calling of this latest virus "the Wuhan Flu" earmarking its origin I heartily can understand such a naming being the newest faux pas. After all what can be more insensitive! I for one am equally concerned about all the Corvidians whose feelings are not considered in calling the virus "the Covid 19". We certainly will not have a completely unprejudicial global society if we keep insisting on calling things by their origin. I have also decided not to use the prejudicial phrases such as German Measles, West Nile Virus, Spanish Flu---and with this heightened awareness I am resisting other aspects where we find insensitive language, especially concerning pinpointing the origin of things: I have stopped using "African Lions", "Indian Elephants", "English Sparrows" "Canada Geese" ...there are so many! Hopefully I can acquire a newly edited virus and bird book that accommodate our new sensitivities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home