Saturday, March 31, 2018

Ally for Anti-Abortion?

Fr. Sinisa, While appreciating your zeal for anti-abortion---we both share this---I've noticed that many well meaning folks use an argument similar to the one posted above which seems to make allies with an ideology that is to say the least, problematic. I was compelled to write why I think this ally, the source of the quote, is detrimental. The following is my rejoinder, I respectfully submit for your consideration: 
On a # Women's Rights video posted by a friend who is likewise against abortion I have to raise an objection. My friend who is a priest is certainly well-meaning but I think he is mistakenly swayed in his zeal against abortion (which I share) in using a video which is subscripted with the quote:
"Gender equality starts in the womb. We can't advance women's rights if we kill our littlest preborn women. Our advancement as women comes through recognizing the dignity of every person."
I take issue in the reason it gives. I reads to me as if its primary motive is advancing the 'women's movement'. I am compelled to answer: No, both preborn men and preborn women are the subjects of our crusade. The quote moves the issue into identity politics as if this aspect of Marxism is an ally. Our Lord once said concerning the doctrine of the Pharisees: "A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump." I would argue that feminist arguments still come from an evil tree. The quote also makes it sound that advancing women's rights are the reason for fighting abortion. In fact it is feminism's poisonous ideology (originating in Marxism's identity politics) which made and continues to make abortion such a thriving industry. I would likewise maintain that we shouldn't use a # Third Reich Rights argument against the gas chambers because after all it will not in the end advance the cause of Germany. Does this not sound condescendingly faulty reasoning even though the end, the end of gas chambers, is what we both seek? To me the reasoning why is just as important, and if we get this wrong I think we are sleeping with a strange bedfellow that will eventually turn on us as we sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home