Saturday, October 20, 2018

On Passing a Coffee Shop

I must confess that this consideration I am highlighting today may seem at first blush to be a bit culturally naive and even old fashioned as to the way of things. On passing a coffee shop I witnessed something that at first shouldn't exhibit any cultural curiosity whatsoever. It was merely a greeting between two college age persons, a young man and a young woman. The young man platonically hugged the woman---no actually it was the young woman that initiated the hug which of course is the way it must be today. Anyhow it was not this that made me take note. It was the actual verbal greeting that the young man used. "Good to see you, Bro," he said. It was not the first part that made me stop and wonder. It was the appellation. Well should I really be surprised? I mean "guys" has been the substitute for the politically incorrect and patriarchally condescending "girls" for a number of years now. So why should not the term "bro" be as appropriate as any? But I remember somehow these same current wordsmiths rebuking the bible as a sexist and misogynist text for using such chauvinistic pronouns as "he" that I must confess to a confusion in how to speak in a culturally correct way. And most especially now with the trans pronouns coming into effect I am at a total loss in daring to utter even a syllable lest it be wrongly perceived and suffer the most mortal of sins---that of being offensive. Alas it is the greatest Gehenna one must suffer to be forever labelled with the ugly ad hominems that are the current fashion. Thus I must exhibit a silence that would be like the silence a church mouse must possess when being in the ubiquitous company of cats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home