Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The Buzzing at Ware Pond

The other day at Ware Pond I had a good day of observing wildlife: northern orioles in all their orange splendor, cottontail rabbits, locust trees still in their creamy white flowering, a painted turtle digging with her back legs a place to deposit her eggs, and finally a red winged blackbird male which buzzed me a number of time to the point I had to go to my knees. He actually got so close as to clip me. I am not an especially big or small human but compared to a red wing I am quite gigantic, I would even say menacingly so. And so I have to hand it to this father of his family that had such abundance of birdly testosterone to fly at me without the slightest fear. Or perhaps he did fear but overcame it and came at me regardless...all for the sake of his family. May I have just a bit of that kind of courage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home